Friday, October 25, 2013

24

As my birthday is rapidly approaching I have been reflecting on the past year. I think my birthday is a better time to set resolutions because it is an new year for me (and I don't feel like I am jumping on the band wagon).
This year has been one of the best years of my life. It has been a roller coaster, but it has had some incredible highs.  Last year I got to spend my birthday with the love of my life, my parents, some of my closest friends and my kiddos.  Brandon and I got to spend Thanksgiving with his family,which was super fun. I spent my last Christmas in Arizona with my family (for a while that is). Brandon came home for new years and we got engaged. This news received mixed reactions, but in the end I think everyone was on the same page or at least chapter. We got married in May. The planning process was full of ups and downs. During the planning I got news Brandon got orders to Japan. We moved to Japan and started this new chapter in our life. Brandon went back to Arizona (not good news, but ironic) and while he was gone I finally got a job offer. I started my job this week.
I know a lot of this involves Brandon, but a lot of these are first for us, so it has been a big year for us as a couple. Through the move, I have learned much about myself. I forgot how much I hate strangers, so that has been a fun adventure for me. However, I have made plenty of friends and really created a life here. I absolutely love it and I am so excited that this is where we get to start our life adventure together. It is not a normal experience for most of our friends back home, but we are so lucky to be out here on our own to figure out marriage.
I have also come to the realization it is a great ease into marriage. Brandon and I were not used to being together for long periods of time, so in some ways I was beyond ready for him to go, but in others ways I was finally getting used to our new reality. I think this way we get the best of both. We get to spend time together, but it is likely he will be gone at least 1/3 of the time we are here, if not more. In my eyes it is the perfect balance for us, especially if after this tour he gets out because we had the time to transition. :)
I am hoping 25 is even better! It too will have its challenges with this new life we have, but ones we are ready to face head on!!
Some of my Folley fam on my birthday last year

The crazy kids I spent my birthday with last year



My lovely bridesmaids minus one


Our mommas and me

My wonderful aunts and momma


Belle!! She is my favorite. You'd never know how sick I was in this picture :)

Festival in Oki

B really wanted this shirt :) Oh the irony

So cheers to another great year! Thanks to everyone who made 24 so wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment