Thursday, August 22, 2013

Don't judge a book by its cover

When book shopping I am guilty as charged for judging a book by its cover (but that doesn't always mean it's a good book, just like covers I don't like may be an awesome book)

Well I feel the same can be said of people. My husband and I have tattoos (he has plenty more than me). At first I had a few struggles with some of his tattoos, but now I don't even think about them being there. They are part of his skin and I love that. Trust me I don't love all the content of his tattoos (nothing horrible, I just like girly, happy things), but I can appreciate the art of them. Not all of his have meaning, but my four do and I absolutely love all of them for what they represent. My first was a word "msamha", which means forgiveness in Swahili. The second was a Bible verse Eph 6:10 which states "finally be strong in the Lord and His mighty power." I am so humbled by my faith and know I do not go through my struggles alone. He got me through some of the worst times in my life. The third is a yellow gladiola for my grandma. She was teaching me to paint, but we never finished. I decided to get a flower similar to the one we were painting. The last (for now) is an anchor with a bow. My husband and I went back and forth for month on what to get and trying to suit both of us. He found these anchors one with a bow and one without. We decided that was it and to get them on our honeymoon. Because we are apart so often this tattoo means the world to me. Regardless of where we are in the world I have him with me and he has me with him.

While I know plenty of people who do not have tattoos and do not like them, you should not judge a person just because they have them. Mine are a reminder of the past, present and future. While some don't see it necessary I like them. I think they are a great way of expressing yourself. So while people may look at my husband, myself or anyone else with tattoos and judge you may miss out on a wonderful person. I am not saying you need to agree with getting tattoos or run out and get one right now..but be respectful of people's freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment