Friday, April 27, 2012

Love Letters


I have not always had the greatest track record with boys, but I will give myself credit of not giving up.  The last few guys I have dated have been long distance.  I know a lot of people think it’s so horrible and they could never do it.  I will tell you it is not easy by any means, but not impossible either.  I used to get codependent, which did make things incredibly difficult.  Long distance helps me keep my independent crazy lifestyle and not feel bad or become too dependent.  I found that long distance works well for me IF both parties are on the same page.  It is extremely difficult when there is a lack of communication. When you are apart communication is all you have.  I have had completely different schedules than the guy I was dating, so I would write letters.  I’ve written sweet, frustrated, sad, angry, and happy letters.  I didn’t realize until a few days ago that the only person I had ever got a return letter from was a friend who was deployed in Afghanistan.  When I saw them waiting for me when I got home I was so excited! I was happy to know he was safe, but also just to know someone out there was thinking about me.  The letters weren’t crazy exciting, just about the deployment.  He is home now and out of harm’s way (as much as he can be), thank goodness.  We got to talking the other day about how he is the only guy who has ever written me a letter. He seemed to get a little upset about that.  It didn’t really faze me until today.  I ran across this website through pinterest and LOVE the idea.  I thought I would share it all with you.  More Love Letter is a site that allows people to write and receive letters.  I also wanted to give you the back story of the girl who started it all Love Twenty...her story seems not that far fetched and feelings don't seem that far fetched.

I firmly believe writing love letters is a lost art.  I am a hopeless romantic and enjoy the little things.  It’s not about how big the diamond is, but the feelings and the words behind it.  I think it says something to take 5 minutes out of your day to write down how you feel about someone, whether it be a card or a letter, but do it long hand.  We are a society so focused on social media that I sometimes feel we forget how to connect with people.  So I have to thank my friend for reminding me how important it is to take that time out for the people that matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment